Tuesday, January 18, 2011

WHO releases press statement

Last week, I told you about a new study done that says exclusive breastmilk for the first 6 months may not be healthy. The researchers mentioned WHO (The World Health Organization) in their study, going against what WHO has said for years. They disagree, with WHO, stating that babies who are exclusivly breastfed for the first 6 months can infact have more food allergies and become anemic.

Yesterday, WHO came out with a press release,  reminding us that
"mothers worldwide to exclusively breastfeed infants for the child's first six months to achieve optimal growth, development and health. Thereafter, they should be given nutritious complementary foods and continue breastfeeding up to the age of two years or beyond."

The press release then continured to say
"No reduced risks of other infections or of allergic diseases have been demonstrated. No adverse effects on growth have been documented with exclusive breastfeeding for six months. But a reduced level of iron has been observed in some developing country settings."

It is so sad that this press release had to done. To say that breastmilk may not be the best for your child is so far beyond imagination. Breastmilk is the oldest form of food to feed our children, and once again supporters are finding themselves defending it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!