Breastfeeding aids in the uterus returning to original size after birth.
- Breastfeeding causes the release of a hormone called Oxytocin
- Oxytocin is also responsible for the contraction of the uterus and therefore helps to decrease the size of the uterus after birth.
An average breastfeed lasts 16 minutes
- this is the average time for you to sit at intervals during the day and night for that special time with your baby
- a time for relaxation, contemplation and pure enjoyment - just you and your baby.
Breastfeeding burns calories
- when breastfeeding you burn up to an extra 500 calories per day
- while you sit and relax with your baby you are also burning calories. So the ideal way to lose weight with out the exercise!
Almost three-quarters of mummies produce more milk with their right breast
- no correlation to being right or left handed, just a fact!
About a third of mummies can’t sense 'let-down'
- 'let down' is when your milk starts to flow
- it can also be called milk ejection
- the average time it takes for let down to happen is 56 seconds
- watch for your milk to flow and see it happen.
Babies breastfeed until they’re full not until they 'empty' your breast.
- on average, babies remove 67% of the milk you have available – this amount can vary widely among moms.
- with bottle feeding, a baby will generally feed until the bottle is empty
82% of mothers use a breastpump
- whether it is because of going back to work or to help overcome a temporary separation or problem, a breastpump is a valuable tool
- discuss with your health professional and check out the rest of our website for further information
Pretty cool huh? Thank you to Medela for the facts!