Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Taking care of Mummie

Last week was......well....interesting? I have been MMIA (Mummie Missing In Action) for over a week.... and I can FINALLY explain why. I am FINALLY feeling better and at the point I can explain my absence. (Although if you are a "friend" of mine on FB you may already know part of the story.)

 So let's begin way back in the day.... when I was 13 years old I was "diagnosed" with Vasaovagal Syncope. Basically passing out, with no other health issues. My trigger is food...... not enough of it and too long in between meals. I say "diagnosed" because only blood was tested... and not the actual test was given. Fast forward 18 years (18 years...Holy Mummie's Nummies... really 18 years?! PLEASE tell me my math is wrong! Oh man.... it's not wrong.....) and we are at Friday July 20. I only had a piece of toast for breakfast, as we were going out to eat breakfast with some family before shopping, STUPID I know...... I should have known better. We were just about to our location when I began to feel very sick. I grabbed a hold of my husband (who was driving) and told him I was going to pass out. There was nothing he could do, but be there for me. Sure enough a few moments later I gave my warning of "I'm going out now" (nice warning huh? Seems to be my catch phrase when I pass out.) and down I went.

My husband parked the truck and tried to "revive" me... but he was unable to. A few smacks, water in the face and some vigorous shaking did nothing. I remained out while sitting in his truck, for what was 3-5 minutes. I finally came to with the help of some Coke and some Mellow Yellow? (Never had it before and I can't tell you what is so mellow about the yellow...... but it seemed to help.) What was so different about this "episode" was that I was out for more than a few seconds, I had "seizure like" shaking just as I went out, and (my most embarrassing moment) I lost bladder control.

 So with help, I was able to walk to the store bathroom and try to regain myself. (BIG thanks goes out to my SIL who helped dry my pants off with the air blowers in the bathroom. Nothing says "I Love You" like drying off some one's pants after they pee-peed on them self.... and then saying "Throw your panties away." Yeah I think we had ourselves a bonding moment.) We had breakfast and I had a nice relaxing shopping trip, wheel chair bound and escorted by my husband. (Hey... we were buying bedroom furniture...... I mean come on! I wanted that King Size Bed! It is a KING SIZE BED!)

 I recovered fairly well over the weekend, but decided to call my doctor on Monday morning. Just before calling I began to feel sick again......So they got me right in. My husband came home and took me to the doctor, where I had a semi episode there. Blood pressure dropped to 90/60.  My doctor was concerned so they called EMS and off I went to the hospital. After CRAZY amounts of tests.... I was admitted, as they found no reason for my episodes.

I was able to say good night to my little loves, via video chat. That was hard........ for the first  night I could not hug or kiss them good night. Yes.....very hard.

(Here I am in all my Yucky Glory)

 Here is a breakdown of what they did:
Cat Scan
Blood tests (12 viles in all)
Blood pressure monitoring (constantly)
MRI (That was bad!)
Artery sonogram
Heart sonogram
Neurologist visit

Everything was normal (well test wise... I clearly am not normal!) They were concerned a Seizure may have occurred.... but tests said nothing did, which was GREAT NEWS. So after being in the hospital for 2 days (and all bruised to prove it).... I was sent home with an appointment to go back to see a Cardiologist and have a Tilt Table Test done.

 Skip ahead one day and in we walk for the dreaded Tilt Table Test. Now I could not eat 4 hours prior to the test (test was at 8 am)... can we say TRIGGER!!! No food is my trigger.... so I was feeling pretty sick. Blah blah blah..... getting me ready...... blah blah blah..... more IVs (could not find a good vein since they went all "vampire" on me at the hospital)..... blah blah blah.... more blood pressure monitoring.... and here we go......... I was given a pill to lower my blood pressure (to try and induce an episode)......... a few moments later blood pressure was 60/40 and out I went. They lowered the table back down, I came to and blood pressure went back up. TADA positive confirmation of Vasovagal Syncope!

So no big surprise there... we "knew" I had it... but we now had a 100% confirmation.

So here is what I have to do:
NO skipping meals
NO small meals unless I snack every 3 hours with small meals
MORE salt in my diet (FRENCH FRIES ANYONE?!)
Drink more than just water, my body needs electrolytes. I am a water person...... but my body needs more it seems.
Continue taking my Zoloft, as it helps control Vasavagal Syncope. (OOPS... oh yeah I have been on Zoloft for 4 months now... CAT IS OUT OF THE BAG! I will share that story as well...... 'Cause I am not alone and neither are you!)

The big key is managing and controlling my episodes, they are not life threatening... unless I hit my head when I pass out. But I have a good 1-2 minute warning before anything really happens..... so I can always prepare for it (or try to avoid it.)

So what IS Vasavagal Syncope?
It is the most common cause of fainting. Vasovagal syncope occurs when your body overreacts to triggers, such as the sight of blood or extreme emotional distress (Or for me.... food.) The trigger results in vasovagal syncope — a brief loss of consciousness caused by a sudden drop in your heart rate and blood pressure, which reduces blood flow to your brain.

Symptoms are:
Skin paleness
Tunnel vision .Your field of vision is constricted so that you see only what's in front of you
Feeling of warmth (My blood feels like it is boiling and always starts in my arms)
A cold, clammy sweat

Vasovagal syncope occurs when the part of your nervous system that regulates heart rate and blood pressure malfunctions in response to a trigger, such as the sight of blood (or again lack of food.) Your heart rate slows, and the blood vessels in your legs widen. This allows blood to pool in your legs, which lowers your blood pressure. This drop in blood pressure and slowed heart rate quickly diminish blood flow to your brain, and you faint.

Common triggers for vasovagal syncope include:
Standing for long periods of time
Heat exposure
The sight of blood
Having blood drawn
Fear of bodily injury
Lack of food

Now since I was out for so long (as I was unable to lay down) it has taken a MUCH bigger toll on my body than normal. Today is the first FULL day I have felt more "normal" and like myself.  So woot woot to that!

I missed my babies, I missed being home, I AM SO not going through that again. Sometimes it takes a little kick in the booty butt to make you remember to take care of Mummie. Our bodies are important as well and so many people rely on us to be healthy. I guess I needed that little kick....... but mark my words..... I will NOT make that mistake again!

Remember to take care of YOU or your body might be doing some Booty Butt kicking!
Oh it does feel good to be back!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!